Monday 7 November 2011

Coconut Oil, Butter or Milk with a blender - in my case the Ninja

Coconut Butter - The Flesh, including the fat from the coconut, creamed to a smooth texture.
Coconut Oil - The fat from Coconuts
Coconut Milk - The Flesh and usually water from a coconut

To make Coconut Oil, You can use dry, unsweetened Coconut flakes or you can use whole raw Coconuts. Youtube has some good demonstrations for opening a coconut efficiently, but be warned, even after I was sure I could do it, my first attempt was pretty sad. I think my knife was not heavy enough for the job. I did manage to get it apart fairly quickly, but it didn't look so nice and pretty like the videos.


First, I am going explain Coconut Milk. It's simple, and deliscious.

You can Shred Coconut or use shredded coconut, just make sure it has not had all of the fat removed if you use the flakes, and also make sure it is unsweetened. If your blender can handle chunks of raw coconut, don't bother shredding it.

1 Cup of Shredded Coconut
2 Cups of Water or Coconut Water
1-3 tsp Raw Sugar (unless using Coconut Water)


The Water should not be cold. Put everything in your blender and blend for about a minute. Strain through a metal strainer or mesh bag/nut milk bag.

If you chill it, the fats will separate. It is best served at room temperature.

Now, this is where the Coconut Oil comes in. Just chill it! The fats will rise to the top, and in a day or so you will be able to remove a round white puck of fat. If you are not going to use it right away, rinse it with cold water to remove anything that will sour. If you allow the drink to ferment, you will find more fat on it. The fresh coconut will yield more fat.
 
OK, so for Coconut Butter, it's a little different. If you have a Vita-Mix, you can make some of the best Coconut butter. I don't, but I can still make a version of it in my Ninja Master Prep. A food Processor would work better then a low powered blender for this.

Place 2 cups of the coconut flakes in the blender and Blend until it becomes a creamy substance. It takes about 10 minutes in my blender, and while you are not supposed to add any water, I did because it wasn't able to to make the coconut fine enough to bring out all of the oils. I put about 1/4 of a cup in all. You will have to keep stopping to push it back in the blades. I want to try again with adding extra Coconut Oil.

It wasn't actually so creamy, it was crumbly. It reminded me of Feta Cheese, so I seasoned it and enjoyed it with crackers. It was so yummy!

If you have a Vita Mix, you would probably want to use the tamper for this.

I will let you know if I do more Coconut experiments, and I am sure I will.

Oh, and don't throw out the flakes after making Milk. Use them in Banana nut Muffins. It is amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment